Ornamental fish farming can be taken as the most popular hobby in today’s world. This can be a profitable business as well. So let’s get more knowledge about ornamental fish farming. This business can one of the most lucrative businesses.7.2 million houses in the USA and 3.2 million in the European Union have an aquarium and the number is increasing day by day throughout the world.
India is in a marginal position where its trade is developing rapidly. Ornamental fishes of India are contributing about 1% of the total ornamental fish trade. These fishes are exported to the tune of 69.26 tons, having the value of Rupees 566.66 crores in 2014 – 15. On average, an annual growth rate of about 11 percent has been recorded during the period 1995 to 2014.
- 1 You Can Take it as a Hobby as well as Business
- 2 Benefits of Ornamental Fish Farming
- 2.1 Types of Ornamental Fishes:
- 2.2 Neon Tetra
- 2.3 Guppies
- 2.4 Oscar
- 2.5 Mollies
- 2.6 Zebra Danios
- 2.7 Platies
- 2.8 Pearl Gourami
- 2.9 Swordtails
- 2.10 Bettas
- 2.11 Parrot Fish
- 2.12 Arowana Fish
- 2.13 Angelfish
You Can Take it as a Hobby as well as Business
Instead of raising single or two fishes as a pet you can rather go for a bunch of several fishes.
As it is said that build your career in the field you love to work ,it gives pleasure to you. It enables relaxation of the mind and thereby contributes to healthy living. Children get to know more about nature and use their time productively.
You may be going to succeed in this business considering that you know everything necessary about raising fish and you may even do not need to buy any ornamental fish farming guide. It is not the only hobby It also creates a self-employment opportunity
Culture of Ornamental Fishes:
An attractive colorful fish with magnetic features and characteristics is the ornamental culture or aquaculture.
There are more than 30,000 fish species reported around the world, of this about 800 belong to ornamental fishes. Most of the ornamental fishes survive in freshwater. Some of them are Anabantidae, Poeciliidae, Callichthyidae, Characidae, Cichlidae, Cyprinodontidae, Cyprinidae and, Cobitidae.
Species generally prefer soft to medium-hard water. The average temperature of the water can be determined into 15 degrees to 28 degrees and pH is mild alkaline. Normal tap water can also be used for dechlorination.
Cemented tank, glass aquarium, earthen ponds can also be counted into tank culture. Two or three cement cistern is sufficient for small rearing units.
Benefits of Ornamental Fish Farming
This is one of the easiest business types, as it is not hard to raise them. Basic biology and habit, you can easily raise them in the comfort of your own backyard.
In this type of fish farming, quality is the most important thing you need to pay attention to, therefore, aquarium as a media is sufficient to start this business.
As they don’t require a high amount of space as consumable fishes usually need larger media to raise, but ornamental fishes are different. This business is one of the low-cost investment businesses and with a good profit margin.
Less Labor Work:
This business does not require highly skilled labor. You only need a little aquarium unit and you can set up your own fish farming business.
Physical work is only done when you need to move the fishes from one place to another. You can hire someone for your help also.
Notice the Demand:
In many places around the world, ornamental fishes are a lot in demand. You can create your market by focusing on offices, restaurants, or stores and also who buy fishes as a pet and raise them.
Aquarium or fish tank for decoration can be your eye-catchy business as it looks pretty, watching fishes swimming around can be relaxing too. Aquarium good ornaments in many places are in high demand.
Types of Ornamental Fishes:
There are several types of colorful fishes available that will make a great pet. However, not all type of ornamental fish has a large market opportunity but can create a good market.
- Popularly known fish for aquarium. Species are often one of the first fish a beginner aquarist will buy. Neon Tetras are small, easy to care for species.
- They reach around 2.2 cm in length and like to be kept in groups. They are a great choice for small community aquariums due to their peaceful temperament.
- This colorful and lively fish are comfortable in any water condition and the reason why they are so popular. Males are much more colorful and vibrant than females, so if you’re not looking to breed, you may want to just keep males.
- They are easy to take care of. Guppies are mostly kept in sets of threes, and a good guide for the tank size is 1 gallon of water per guppy.
- The average water temperature for guppies is 50 OF – 84 OF (10-29 OC), but the most important is consistency should be maintained.
- Oscars however are not a community fish, they should be kept in a species only tank, and they can grow very large, very quickly.
- Oscars are thought to be one of the most intelligent aquarium fish available, and are one of the few species that can be trained to do tricks.
- Due to their carnivorous nature and the amount of waste they create. They require a lot more maintenance than other fish.
- Mollies are very easy to care for, but they also breed very easily, so if you’re a beginner you might want to keep just single- gender.
- Mollies are omnivorous, and will require a diet of both plant and animal food
- This small, peaceful species grow to around 3-4 inches, and adapt well to a variety of water conditions.
- The average tank conditions are a minimum tank size of 20 gallons, and warm water with a pH between 7.0-7.8.
- They are live bearers that mean they give birth to their young ones, rather than lay eggs.
- The Zebra Danios make the perfect beginner fish, they are very easy to take care of and can grow up to 5-7cm.
- Danios also know to jump so you may want to keep your tank covered. They should be kept in at least a 10-gallon tank, in groups of at least 5.
- They are not light eaters and will eat most foods. One of the options for them would be lots of worms, however, a good quality flake will also work with a supplement of frozen or live food.
- They are a great community fish, they’re very peaceful and get along well with guppies and mollies.
- Platies come in almost every color you could imagine and they are very easy to pet. And these are two of the reasons why they are the popular choice for Ornamental fish farming.
- Although small, platies are very active and love being in groups. A 10-gallon tank is large enough for 5 fish.
- The Pearl Gourami is large in size, but peaceful fish and one of the easiest to keep.
- The minimum tank size for this species is a 30-gallon tank with plenty of hiding places, dark substrate and, lighting.
- They eat tiny pest that has tentacles with venom, so make a great solution if you have a hydra problem.
- They can be kept with other fish of a similar size and temperament; however, you should not keep them with aggressive fish.
- Pearl Gouramis are omnivorous and should be fed with meat-oriented food.
- With a slightly bulkier body and a sword-shaped extension of its fin. The swordtail is considered to be similar to platy and guppy fish in shape,
- There are many different color variations available and they are quite attractive which makes them a perfect species for the beginners
- Swordtails are genarally peaceful, yet lively. They thrive in community tanks.
- They breed easily, and if you do decide to breed them, you should keep them away from their parents. Swordtail parents will often eat them.
- Betta is another extremely popular freshwater fish. Bettas are vibrantly colored and easy to care for.
- Male Bettas are notoriously aggressive towards other males. Therefore only one male Betta should be kept in each aquarium. They can be housed with other peaceful fish.
- Bettas require an omnivorous diet, of both plant and animal foods.
- They grow to a maximum size of 3 inches. Although you often see Bettas in small ornamental tanks, they should be housed in larger tanks.
- This is a unique fish and has a mouth that resembles those of parrot beaks, and the reason why they are named Parrot Fish.
- It has colorful skin that ranges from a combination of blue, yellow and sometimes with strikes of red.
- This freshwater fish is bony and the elongated body is covered by large, heavy scales, with a mosaic pattern of canals.
- There are a lot of Arowana species in nature, but only 10 types are usually kept as pets.
- It has a bright yellow and blue color with white stripes.
- It is considered to be a predator fish, as they can survive in aquariums and will adapt well. Another tropical fish or freshwater mostly preferable by lots of people.
Business Plan for Ornamental Fish Farming:
- You can start your small scale business. With just clearing the idea of storage.
- Here are some storage options for ornamental fish.
- You can go for various designed glass aquariums. You can use a small 250ml flask to store single fish.
- Here also you need to go for breeding and spawning you can increase the size accordingly.
- Brick masonry tanks can be used. You can use cement, clay, plastic tanks also.
- You just require larger space in time of rearing. The size can vary with the number of fishes.
- You just need to design them according to the appropriate sunlight.
- You can use a translucent HDPE sheet for making your work shed.
- As you want to run a full-fledged business you can also opt for a pond. Where you can get proper space to keep them and grow.
- You need a farm location to build your business:
- You can choose any fixed location such as your back yard.
- You can go for rental space just ensure that it’s nearby your market location. So that transportation doesn’t cost you much.
Feed Your Fish:
- You need to prepare a proper healthy feeding.
- The main feeding you could choose earthworms, mosquito, tubifex, and daphnia. You require low cost and easy to store feeding.
- You need to manage your farm efficiently. You require a larger space for fish rearing.
- If there are comfortable species they can be stored into the same tank. Groundwater sourcing is the best for fish rearing.
Choose Your Fishes:
- Go for ornamental fishes that are in high demand in particular targeted area.
- You can also initiate your business into export. Which can expand your business internationally?
- Some of the most popular species are Molly, Rosy Barb, guppy, pearl gourami, blue gourami.
Marketing and Promotion
- Any business requires a lot of promotion to be in the market.
- You can go to the aquarium shop, you can sell it from your shop, and you can sell it from your shop. Get in networking with local partners.
- This business does not require brochures, flyers kind of marketing but you can go for display marketing such as fair or baazar.
Links and Registration:
- This business also needs to be registered legally. As there are many chances of illegal export and can be dangerous for your business. Here is the government-affiliated link for more knowledge.
Ornamental fish farming is one of the fastest-growing business and has the capacity for a rapid growth in future as well.
In fact for a beginner in fish farming, there are usually Ornamental Fish Farming Training centers available around the city. Or you can also get guidance from a book about fish farming and start to learn about how to raise them.
I hope this blog has given you prominent information and will help you raise your ornamental fish farm. Comment and let us know which are your favorite species and how you converting your hobby into your business.